Technical information about Apitong, Keruing from TrailerDecking.com
Technical Wood Properties for Apitong, Keruing Hardwood Truck Trailer Flooring
- View these products
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Dipterocarpus spp, Hagokhak, Panau, Dau, Yang, Eng, In, Heng, Keroeing, Kerunwing, Kruen, Kurjun, Klalar, Lagan, Bagac, Gurjun
- Description: Keruing is the name given to approximately 70 species of Dipterocarpus throughout Southeast Asia. It is a common specie of wood and has been used for truck trailer components since the 1960's. Apitong is one of the most popular exotic hardwood species that comes out of South East Asia. The name Apitong has its origin as the local Philippine name and encompasses the tree species from the genus Dipterocarpus. Due to Apitong’s unique mechanical and physical properties, it is commonly considered to have one of the best strength to weight ratio of any commercially harvested species. Recognizing the wonderfully unique properties of Apitong, many experienced and globally savvy buyers choose the value and reliability of Apitong and consider it the undisputed species of choice for truck and trailer flooring.
- Janka Hardness: 1,520 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 19,900 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 2,070 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 790
- Tangential Shrinkage: 10.9 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 5.2 %
- About: Our Apitong is available in a variety of widths in both shiplap and rough.
- Family: Dipterocarp
- Tree Characteristics: The Apitong tree can grow to be 141 feet high.
- Geographic Area: Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Sabah, Sarawak, Brunei, Pakistan, India, Burma, Borneo, Thailand, Sri Lanka and Kampuchea
- Color: Apitong Heartwood varies from brown to dark brown or light to dark red-brown, sometimes with a hint of purple; the heartwood is normally well defined from the buffcolored or gray sapwood.
- Photosensitivity: Yes, darkens with age.
- Luster: Medium
- Grain: Uniform straight grain, slightly interlocking
- Texture: Moderately coarse
- Drying Characteristics: Difficult to dry without minor amounts of checking. Requires pre-drying.
- Working Characteristics: There is a silica and resin in most species of Keruing which require carbide or tungsten tools for best results
- Durability Rating: Medium durability. Not resistant to powder post beetles or termites. Above ground exterior exposure is rated as 7 to 15 years.
- Applications: Flooring, pallets, chemical processing equipment, veneer and plywood, railroad crossties (if treated), truck floors, boardwalks, framework for boats and general construction work
- View these products
Other Outstanding Species of Wood